The American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Match program for osteopathic medical students places medical students into OGME-1 preliminary, OGME-1 traditional, or OGME-1 resident programs. Osteopathic medical students can find Osteopathic Intern and Residency programs listed on the Opportunities website (http://www.opportunities.osteopathic.org/) that are approved by the AOA Program and Trainee Review Council (PTRC). Options for medical students include:
OGME-1 Resident: Resident programs that include Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine and OMT, Family Medicine/Emergency Medicine, Integrated Family Medicine/NMM, Integrated Internal Medicine/NMM, Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine/Emergency, Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Neurological Surgery, Neurology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery, Pediatrics, Proctologic Surgery, Psychiatry, and Urological Surgery
OGME-1 Preliminary: Diagnostic Radiology, Opthalmology, Pathology, Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine and OMT, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Radiation Oncology.
OGME-1 Traditional: Dermatology, Public Health, and Preventive Medicine
Osteopathic medical student timeline:
- June: Register for the AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program (the “Match”) online via the Match web site at www.natmatch.com/aoairp
- July -January: Register with Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), submit applications, and attend interviews.
- November: Osteopathic programs are available on the Match website.
- January : Submission of program Rank Order Lists
- February: Results of the match are available to students.
Resources for osteopathic medical students:
- Trainee Information, Verification, and Registration Audit (TIVRA) registers osteopathic medical students, interns, and residents in an AOA-approved postdoctoral training program. Registration is required to participate in AOA training.
- The Opportunities database has internships and residencies details for osteopathic applicants.
- The summary DME manual has information about the Match, Opportunities, ERAS, TIVRA.
Got any suggestions for making the osteopathic match easier to navigate? Post them below!