We are currently seeking new authors to join our First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 team. As you know, First Aid is the premiere USMLE Step 1 preparation resource trusted by tens of thousands of students each year.
Would you like to be an author on the 2020 team?
Authors are responsible for updating and revising ~30-50 pages of text/illustrations, as well as peer reviewing other chapters. The time commitment is approximately 80 hours of work from April to October for Contributing Authorship and half that time commitment for Associate Authorship. Authors will receive authorship credit, a free subscription to a USMLE-Rx test bank of their choice, and a stipend. While text and illustration authors work together, text authors will focus on creating and revising text, and illustration authors will focus on creating and revising art.
Please note there are limited positions available. If you would like to apply for a position, please carefully follow the directions below to complete a short exercise:
1a. If you are applying to be a text author, choose ONE of the following fact revision exercises and write/revise accordingly:
- Revise the supplied CRISPR/Cas9 (First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2019, p.53) fact in the attached PDF.
- Revise the supplied Platelet disorders (First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2019, p.419) fact in the attached PDF.
- Choose what you think is a high-yield topic that is NOT covered in First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2019 and write a complete, new fact entry for it.
- Choose a fact from First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2019 that you feel is too long/low-yield and show how you would improve it.
1b. If you are applying to be an illustration author, choose ONE of the following illustration revisions:
- Revise the existing illustration for the Hereditary hyperbilirubinemia (First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2019, p.388) fact in the attached PDF.
- Create a new illustration for the Poliomyelitis (First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2019, p.519) fact in the attached PDF.
- Create a new, high-yield illustration for an existing fact in First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2019 that does not currently have artwork.
2. Email your revised file(s), CV, USMLE Step 1 score, and a brief statement of your interest and qualifications to the following address: email@example.com. Please include information about any book-wide initiatives that you have special interest or skills in working on (eg, low-yield review, improving page layout, revamping the errata submission process, etc) and list any relevant background or skills.
Files may be Microsoft Word, PDF, or JPEG.
Your revisions should apply to both the text and image(s). We are looking for holistic, integrated, comprehensive, high-yield, and well-referenced suggestions. Appropriate references include hyperlinks to authoritative online resources like UpToDate, eMedicine, AccessMedicine, and ClinicalKey.
Your submission is due by Friday, March 15.
Thank you for your interest, and we hope that you will join our team!
Categories: First Aid Book Announcements & Corrections