This week’s edition of the Step 1 Question of the Week comes from the area of psychiatry. See if you can answer the question and then watch the video to learn the correct answer as well as the rationales for all of the options.
A 17-year-old girl is brought to the physician by her mother who is concerned that her daughter is losing weight. The daughter does not share this concern and says, “I just exercise a lot because I want to look my best.” The girl is 165 cm (5’5”) tall and weighs 44.5 kg (98 lb). Her BMI is 16.3 kg/m2. She is wearing multiple layers of clothing and yet still complains that the office is cold. Physical examination reveals her body is covered by soft, fine hair.
Which of the following additional findings would most likely be associated with this patent’s likely diagnosis?
We invite you to leave a comment with your answer as well as your rationale. When you’re ready to check your work, watch the video!
We invite you to spend 5 days with USMLE-Rx, free of charge. We’ll show you why more med students are opting for Rx to help them succeed on their board exams. What’s more, even after your trial expires, you’ll still be able to access over 150 of our revolutionary Rx Bricks. This includes the entire microbiology and biochem courses!
Hear what some students are saying about how USMLE-Rx has helped them with med school, board prep, and getting ready for the USMLE Step 1:
- “Easy to use platform, wide variety of questions with similar difficulty to nbme.” E.C., Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- “Helps me score really well in NBMEs and my school blocks. My scores went up by 20% just by using Rx.”
- “I think USMLE-Rx is a great way to prepare for step/NBME exam, providing high yield and challenging questions. As well as videos and resources to aid in the learning process.” B.V., Eastern Virginia Medical School
- “USMLE Rx helped me greatly in studying for the Comprehensive Basic Science Exam. My NBME scores went up over 15 points (on the USMLE predicted score) from going through the USMLE-Rx question bank and videos. I am so thankful.” K.S.
- “These questions have helped to prepare me for my med school NBMEs as well as with Step 1 preparation.” A.P., Indiana University School of Medicine
- “The question bank is difficult but highly correlated to material seen on NBME examinations.” K.B., Ross University School of Medicine
- “Very helpful for exams, especially since our school uses NBME exams throughout the first two years. Also beneficial for step 1 prep and review and helps me utilize First Aid effectively.” J.B.
- “I already recommend Rx and the physical FA textbook to all of my classmates and the people in the year below me. The QMax tests represent NBME exams in my courses really well and I feel prepared for my exams after doing these as practice exams.” J.A., Florida International University Medical School
- “Excellent resource—practice questions are great, study materials and videos are good. Integration of first aid and flash facts and questions based on video sections watched is incredible. Extremely helpful for NBME exams and prep.” R.H.
- “Using this resource was essential in facilitating and solidifying my understanding prior to NBME exams during my didactic curriculum, as well as in preparation for Step 1….These videos and the question banks comprised over 95% of my studying during the didactics phase of my curriculum.” J.N., Oregon Health and Science University Medical School
Start your free trial today and see how USMLE-Rx can help you get on track!
3 thoughts on “Step 1 Question of the Week: Psychiatry”
Comments are closed.